MARKUP (Market Access Upgrade Programme) is a regional trade development initiative which aims at addressing both the supply side and market access constraints of selected key export-oriented sectors in Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania and Uganda. The overall objective of the Programme is to contribute to the economic development of the EAC region, by increasing the value of both extra and intra-regional agricultural exports, with the main focus on exports towards the European Union. MARKUP works through two complementary pathways:
- Supporting the EAC Secretariat to co-ordinate implementation of selected region-wide initiatives (EAC Window), and
- Supporting Partner States to implement country-specific initiatives for priority value chains (Partner States Window).
MARKUP is implemented by several international and regional Partners and coordinated on behalf of the EAC Secretariat by a Programme Coordination Unit (PCU) at the Secretariat in Arusha. The PCU - which is responsible for overall coordination, monitoring, evaluation, communication and implementation of standards harmonization - is managed by GIZ.
The project is currently looking to fill the position of Monitoring, Evaluation and Communications Coordinator
Duty station: Arusha, Tanzania
Fixed term contract
Working under the supervision of the Programme Coordinator, s/he is responsible for Monitoring, Evaluation and Communication of MARKUP activities including:
- Implementing the MARKUP M&E Framework and System; and Communications and Visibility Plan
- Elaborating regular progress reports in close collaboration with Implementing Partners
- Supporting the EAC and EU in conducting verification missions; and midterm and final evaluation of MARKUP, respectively
- Facilitating learning and exchange of good practice among MARKUP Partners and key stakeholders
- Recruitment and supervision of external experts in monitoring, evaluation and communication as required in the workplan.
- Collaboration with the EAC Secretariat in M&E and Communications to align MARKUP with the EAC
- Convening physical and virtual meetings of MARKUP M&E and Communications Working Groups
Monitoring and Evaluation (sole responsibility)
- Maintain and update the MARKUP Monitoring and Evaluation System (MMES)
- Provide technical support to Partners to ensure effective monitoring and reporting
- Elaborate annual workplans and implement planned activities for M&E/Communication
- Set up adequate systems and measures to facilitate timely reporting by Implementing Partners
- Coordinate Partners’ narrative reporting including crosschecking and advising on necessary improvements
- Elaborate regular progress reports in cooperation with Implementing Partners and PCU staff
- Support the EAC Secretariat to conduct verification missions through field visits
- Assist the EU Commission during the midterm and final evaluation of the Programme. This includes analyzing the conclusions and recommendations of the evaluation and, taking necessary follow up action
- Organize events for learning and exchange of good practice among MARKUP Partners and key stakeholders
Communication and Visibility (25% support by GIZ SEAMPEC)
- Coordinate, report and monitor implementation of communication and visibility activities, including those implemented by MARKUP Implementing Partners, EAC Secretariat and Partner States
- Develop and implement annual workplans for communication and visibility
- Initiate concepts, media campaigns, press releases, newsletters, brochures, twitter feeds and other communication and visibility materials
- Ensure effective operation of MARKUP web-based platforms including the website and social media
- Compile information packs for general and specific purposes and ensure distribution to target groups
- Support Partners to identify and undertake flagship communication campaigns
- Work closely with communications support team under the GIZ-EAC Support to East African Market-driven and People-centered Integration (SEAMPEC) Programme
- Respond to internal and external inquiries on MARKUP and referring them to relevant Partners as necessary
Required qualifications, competences and experience
- Master’s degree in business administration, communication or similar field
- Strong background in Communication combined with M&E
- Excellent knowledge of English (writing and speaking)
- At least 10 years’ professional experience in the relevant area
- Demonstrable knowledge, skills and experience in project management
- Comfortable working in multicultural environments and with multi-stakeholder processes
- Very good working knowledge of ICT and social media applications
- Proven competences in relationship building
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Familiarity with the EAC region and the regional integration process.
Please use the subject line “Monitoring, Evaluation and Communications Coordinator / MARKUP”.
Applications in hard copy will not be accepted.
Closing date for submission: 03.01.2020
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
GIZ Tanzania is an equal opportunities employer and encourages applications from all qualified and eligible candidates regardless of their gender, origin, religion/belief, disability or any other minority group.